Accessible Legal Defense You Can Trust

  1. Home
  2.  → Minor In Possession Of Alcohol

Understanding Minor In Possession Charges In Iowa

In Iowa, just like most states across the United States, consumption and possession of alcohol by individuals under the legal drinking age of 21 is prohibited, and minors found in possession of alcohol can face minor in possession (MIP) charges.

Leveraging our extensive experience in West Des Moines criminal defense, Lombardi & Miler Law Firm PLLC spares no effort in crafting a strategic defense tailored to the specific circumstances of your case. Our attorneys diligently advocate for your minor’s rights and strive to achieve the most favorable outcome possible, even if it means going to court.

Iowa Minor In Possession Laws

Iowa Code Section 123.47 specifically addresses the issue of underage possession of alcohol. Under this statute, minors can’t have or buy alcohol. Breaking the law can mean fines, community service, education programs or license loss.

At Lombardi & Miler Law Firm PLLC, we will provide guidance and support every step of the way, ensuring that your minor’s rights are protected and working tirelessly to achieve the most favorable resolution for their case.

Common Scenarios Where Minors Get Charged

Your minor can get in trouble with the law for MIP in various scenarios. These include the following:

  • Possessing alcohol at a party
  • Trying to buy alcohol
  • Having alcohol in a vehicle
  • Drinking alcohol in public
  • Being found with alcohol during a traffic stop

A Lombardi & Miler Law Firm PLLC lawyer can help ensure your minor receives fair treatment under the law and strives to minimize the impact of MIP charges on their future opportunities and well-being.

Consequences Of MIP Charges

If your minor is charged for MIP in Iowa, the consequences could include the following:

  • Fines
  • Community service
  • Mandatory alcohol education programs
  • Suspension of driving privileges
  • Adverse impact on college admissions
  • Increased insurance rates

At Lombardi & Miler Law Firm PLLC, we are committed to providing personalized and compassionate legal support for your minor, guiding them through every step of the legal process.

Contact Us Today

When your minor gets slapped with a MIP charge, you need to secure legal representation promptly. Get in touch with us today by email or call 515-513-5324 to schedule your free consultation.